The present barn in Littlebourne dates from circa 1340. It stands on land owned at that time by St Augustine’s Abbey in Canterbury. Although reduced in length from its original size, it is still 172ft long and 76ft wide and is one of the largest and oldest aisled barns still standing in the country.
Having been in continuous agricultural use from its earliest beginnings until the 1960s, the Littlebourne Barn and the surrounding land was acquired by Canterbury City Council in 1991, in order to preserve the building and to make it available to the public.
The Littlebourne Barn is open during the English Heritage National Open Days and at various other times during the year. The local volunteer committee also organise events, art shows and craft fairs. Barn Tours will be available from 2023.
General Enquiries: email@example.com